Monday, July 1, 2013

"Mom, can you help me? They live here and I'm shy."

While this trip has already been filled with wonderful, memory-making, cross-cultural experiences, it hasn't been without some bumps.  For each of us, "settling in" has meant something different.

Josh - In some ways our change of locale has been easiest on Josh since he is the least aware of life in general.  Being completely illiterate, he doesn't notice all the strange words all around us.  In other ways it's hardest on him because I can't explain to him why things are different.  And in addition to new foods, places, and people, he has also transitioned to 1) no naps and 2) sleeping in a big boy bed.  For the past few days he has asked about (or whined about) "my big house", meaning our home in Lexington.  It will be interesting to see, as the summer progresses how frequently his comments about "home" occur.

Layla - As explained, we have visited so many different playgrounds and have run across tons of German-speaking children.  To a certain degree, kids know the language of play and Layla can get along with anyone willing to dig in the sand or play tag.  But sometimes I watch her just standing and watching a group of children and I know she wants to join in.  Or she wants to use something that another child is using and doesn't know what to do or say.  She knows how to say, "Ich heisse Layla" but beyond that she is stuck.  She has come to me several times asking for help, explaining that "the other kids live here."  That's her way of saying they're speaking German.  Tomorrow we have plans to try to meet up with an English speaking playgroup so I know that will provide her some amount of relief.

Becky - As basic as my German is, I am very thankful for it about now.  Even if I don't have all the words to speak or to understand, I can at least sound out the words and don't sound like a complete fool.  At least, in my head I don't; I don't know what the Swiss are thinking!  The most difficult thing for me is a combination of not having any time without the kids, trying to feed the kids unfamiliar food, and buying groceries that I am unfamiliar with and must ensure are safe for Layla.  Even back home, I rarely take the kids food shopping with me because they make it so difficult.  Here, it's nearly impossible.  We may try to adjust Chris's work schedule one day a week to allow me to shop one of the bigger stores without the kids.  We're also looking into a babysitter so that I can shop in peace and maybe Chris and I can even have an evening in the city alone.  This trip is great, and I love my kids to pieces, but I won't lie - that week when we get home and they are at school and I have a week to myself - it's going to be amazing!

Chris - I think Chris's adjustment is two-fold.  Back home his work mornings are super busy because his Swiss counterparts have been at work for hours by the time he gets in.  Here, his day is winding down and the Cambridge folk are still going strong. This combines with the stress he feels to ensure that the kids and I are coping well.  While it may be a vacation for the kids and me, nothing at work has let up because Chris is here.  He did get an offer for after-work drinks on the Rhine this week, so I think he'll be ok!

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying reading about your adventures in Switzerland! Really interesting to hear about the culural interactions, especially as they affect the kids. And who knows, maybe some day Layla will come back and meet up with some of these Swiss playmates when they grow up?

    ReplyDelete