Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Heat is On!

Temps in Basel have been hovering near 90 for a week.  That's nothing compared to the heat wave we've escaped back home.  But keep in mind there is no air conditioning here.  Pretty much anywhere.  Stores, workplaces, trams.  So we're warm.  Layla said, "I wish they had fans in Switzerland."  I didn't have the heart to tell her that of course they do, they're just expensive and we are not buying one for just a few weeks.  Plus, things are supposed to cool off a tad after the weekend, and we're off to the mountains on Saturday and Sunday anyway.  In the meantime, we do what we can to stay cool.  Yesterday, that meant heading to the shadiest park I could think of.

I promise you that the kids had sippy cups full of water in the stroller.
 
Shady sand play.
Layla gives Josh orders from above.

On one of the hottest days of the year, you make lasagna, right?!  Well, for some reason I did.  And I made it with these large noodles and a combination of ricotta, mozzarella, and quark.  I think it was possibly my second best lasagna ever and I am looking forward to tonight's leftovers.



Earlier in the day the kids and I purchased water squirters.  We put them into action after dinner at this small splash pond right next to the apartment.  It didn't take long before Chris and I had handed over our squirters to a few local boys who very much enjoyed soaking the heck out of us.  I sure hope our kids remember the evening when we are long gone from Basel, because they had such a blast.


No comments:

Post a Comment